Chicken & Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Stir-fry the cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, red pepper and onion in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer.
- 4. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice. Sprinkle each serving with cilantro. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup stir-fry with 1/2 cup rice equals 297 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer