This is very simple to make when you have cooked a whole chicken and have leftovers. My boys always loved this comfort food, especially after a busy day of hockey! It's nice with a side salad and breadsticks.—Andrea Bergen, Altona, Manitoba
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 1 package (12 ounces) fettuccine
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Drain fettuccine; toss with 3 tablespoons butter.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 8-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Stir in vegetables; return just to a boil. Stir in chicken; heat through. Serve with fettucine.
Freeze option: Do not cook fettuccine. Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Prepare fettuccine as directed. Place chicken mixture in a saucepan or skillet; cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. (Sauce may appear curdled initially, but will become smooth upon heating.) Serve with buttered fettuccine. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken & Vegetable Fettuccine in Freezer Meals Bookazine 2013, p78
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken & Vegetable Fettuccine
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review