Chicken & Tomato Risotto Recipe
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Carefully stir in 1 cup warm broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.)
- 4. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, cheese and reserved chicken; cook and stir until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 462 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1186mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Chicken & Tomato Risotto
"It was good but not a 5 star"
"This was really good. It does not really reheat very well though. Much better than the first risotto recipe I tried. Would be good with shrimp also."
"Good and easier than I thought it would be. Adding a spring of fresh minced basil to the top before serving. Very good. Will definitely make again and keep single servings on hand for work lunches."
"Good!! Added fresh tomatoes too!"
"Super good-added chunks of zucchini"
"Delicious! Comes out perfect every time."
"So easy and so delicious! I added asparagus which really added a nice fresh texture. I also replaced onion with leek. This is definitely one of my favourite risottos to make!"
"Excellent dish indeed!! My extra added touch, is to add a cup of tomato's. Loved it!!"
"I really enjoyed this recipe! I doubled the mushrooms and used tofu instead of chicken, and it was fabulous. Easy to make and tasty! I'd recommend adding crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper to spice it up a bit."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.