- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 skinned rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-in. size)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in sweet potato, red pepper and celery; cook 5 minutes longer. Add 1/4 cup broth. Reduce heat; cook, covered, over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add milk and remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken, sherry and seasonings. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stack all five sheets of phyllo dough. Roll up lengthwise; cut crosswise into 1/2-in.-wide strips. In a bowl, toss strips to separate; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; spritz again. Bake until golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Arrange over chicken mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken & Sweet Potato Potpie
"This was good but the sauce could have been a tad thicker."
"I made this dish in individual ramekins. The best thing about this recipe is the topping. The phyllo strips are great."