Chicken & Spinach Pasta Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large portobello mushroom, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onion, mushroom and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add the chicken, spinach, 3 tablespoons cheese, lemon juice, pepper and pepper flakes; heat through.
- 3. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 396 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 40g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Chicken & Spinach Pasta
"Made this last night, my kids ate it, which says alot. I also used fresh spinach instead of frozen. My husband and I liked it also. I did not use the red pepper flakes as the kids don't like a lot of spice. It was good though. I wish the sauce was a little thicker to coat the noodles better but that's all. Flavor was there. Thanks for sharing!"
"Needs more "kick," but even my little kids liked it--and that's saying something."
"This dish is a winner. So sumptuous. I made little modifications though, since I didn't have red pepper flakes, I used about 1-2 tsp of Chilli powder instead. Another modification was adding Italian seasoning to the sauce. The idea of this dish is wonderful. I would surely consider doing it again for another hearty lunch. :-) Thank you for the recipe!"
"Subbed raw baby spinach for frozen for better flavor and texture. There are never leftovers even though I double the batch."
"It was a good quick meal. I added half a can of drained diced tomatoes for some more flavor and it was delicious."
"I absolutely loved this recipe! Was extremely flavorful, and to me, I felt like it could be on any restaurant menu. Did not make any adjustments, except for one by accident. I read the 6 tablespoons of parmesan as teaspoons, so it didn't have enough cheese in it. Although I used grated instead of shredded, so it turned out just fine. I can see where some might think it was a lot of spinach, so just adjust to your liking. I used the whole box and it was fine for my family -- we all devoured it!"
"My family loved this recipe. I have made it several time and it gets gobbled up."
"I didn't like this, and neither did my husband. Way too much spinach, and it just didn't have a nice flavor."
"it wasn't good"