Chicken & Spinach Pasta Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large portobello mushroom, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onion, mushroom and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add the chicken, spinach, 3 tablespoons cheese, lemon juice, pepper and pepper flakes; heat through.
- 3. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 396 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 337 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 40 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.