Chicken & Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (4 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tomatoes, pesto, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cover and process until blended; set aside. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chicken and reserved tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large ovenproof skillet, layer half of the squash, chicken mixture and reserved crumb mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken & Spaghetti Squash(11)
Sort By :
I used the tip on draining the squash and texture is perfect. I never have pesto on hand so I use a cilantro,garlic, oil paste instead. This is one of my family favorites....even my 2 year old likes it!
This recipe is a real keeper. My entire family loved it!
Delicious! I used one of the reviewers tips to drain the squash. It was not runny and came out perfect!
This was much better than eating spaghetti squash only with sauce! We used precooked, coated chicken strips & grated Parmesan cheese. It was not watery. Could have used more sauce, though.
@ sirsingalot...whenever using spaghetti squash, ALWAYS place shredded squash directly into a colander & allow it to drain before using/eating. Otherwise you will have a watery outcome!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Spaghetti >
- Baking Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >