Chicken & Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (4 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tomatoes, pesto, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cover and process until blended; set aside. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chicken and reserved tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large ovenproof skillet, layer half of the squash, chicken mixture and reserved crumb mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken & Spaghetti Squash
Sort By :
"This was delicious I used ro-tel for the tomatoes. And the Spaghetti squash fresh out of the garden.Even my super picky 9yr old cleaned his plate and said it was yummy and I was the best cook.."
"This was delicious. Followed advice from others, drained spaghetti squash, added diced zucchini . I used Italian diced tomatoes, doubled the sauce recipe, and 1 1/2 lbs of diced chicken. My husband likes a lot of meat and sauce. I would make this again and may add carrots next time."
"Very good and easy to prepare."
"Perfect! I just discovered spaghetti squash and this recipe really hit the spot."
"I used the tip on draining the squash and texture is perfect. I never have pesto on hand so I use a cilantro,garlic, oil paste instead. This is one of my family favorites....even my 2 year old likes it!"