- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins, halved lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille or Italian sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces ) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water.
- Sprinkle chicken with basil and chicken seasoning. Stuff chicken into uncooked manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup sauce mixture in each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Arrange manicotti over sauce; sprinkle with sausage. Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until bubbly and pasta is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To use frozen manicotti: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until chicken and pasta are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (7 servings each).
Reviews forChicken & Sausage Manicotti
"It was a little difficult to prepare, but it was awesome!!!! I will definitely make it again!"
"This recipe is so easy and great for make ahead."
"tasted excellent. Used a spicy italian sausage and gave it a nice bite. Being a busy family I liked that it made two dinners. The second one is still in the freezer so I am waiting to see if it cooks up as yummy as the first batch."
"Definitely sprinkle basil/poultry seasoning. I put in bag and tossed chicken (which I cubed) - whoa, strong. Plus the picture - they must have used less sauce! Mine was swimming in sauce, but still good. When husband offers compliments & goes for 2nds, dinner is a keeper. Great to have a second dinner all ready to bake. Should have made on a Sun., & not on a night I need to get back to work!."
"This was very good and so easy! The andouille gave it a nice kick but you could def use another type of sausage if you didn't want that."
"iactually sauteed the chicken cut up in small pieces in olive oil a few mins , then added this to some cheese and then stuffed the manicotti shells made it easy .. it was wonderful"
"My family thought this recipe was really great! I loved it to because it went together pretty quickly."
"I had trouble getting raw chicken into raw pasta until I sprayed pam into the manicotti shell then thechicken slid in easily. I was worried about the raw chicken also BUT you cook the entire dish for almost an hour. The chicken was done, the pasta had soaked up some of the sauce. I will add mor cheese on top. and I will make it again."
"This was delicious! My entire family LOVED it. I used ground Italian sausage and it was perfect."