Chicken & Sausage Manicotti Recipe
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins, halved lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille or Italian sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces ) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with basil and chicken seasoning. Stuff chicken into uncooked manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup sauce mixture in each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Arrange manicotti over sauce; sprinkle with sausage. Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with cheeses.
- 3. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until bubbly and pasta is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 4. To use frozen manicotti: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until chicken and pasta are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (7 servings each).
2 stuffed manicotti equals 499 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 1,324 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.