My Cuban mother-in-law makes the best Arroz Con Pollo, but it is very time consuming. This is my quick, weeknight version of the dish she makes. —Jacqueline Correa, Landing, New Jersey
Featured In: 70 Budget-Friendly Dinners That Are Big on Taste
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Add the broth, tomatoes, water, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add chicken and peas; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken & Rice Skillet in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p60
Reviews forChicken & Rice Skillet
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2014
"quick and easy but a bit bland. Next time I will double the spice."
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2013
"This is a great recipe. Lots of flavor and really easy to make."