- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain and set
- In a Dutch oven, saute carrots and celery in oil and butter until
- tender. Add minced garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until
- blended; gradually add prepared broth. Bring to a boil; cook 2
- minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add peas; return to a boil. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until peas are
- tender. Stir in chicken and cream; heat through.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne in
- a large bowl. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and eggs; stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling
- comes out clean. Garnish with chives before serving. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 576 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 189 mg cholesterol, 1,398 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 44 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.