Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute carrots and celery in oil and butter until tender. Add minced garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add prepared broth. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- 3. Add peas; return to a boil. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in chicken and cream; heat through.
- 4. For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and eggs; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 5. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Garnish with chives before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 576 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 189 mg cholesterol, 1,398 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 44 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken & Dumplings
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.