I always get rave reviews when I bring this casserole to my son's Cub Scouts meetings. It's also the perfect comfort meal after a long day. —Sarah Phillips, East Lansing, Michigan
Featured In: 45 Make-Ahead Freezer Meals for Super-Busy Nights
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrots; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken.
Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Roll dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese and peppers. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut crosswise into 1-in.-thick slices. Place on top of hot chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 425°. Bake casserole, covered, 40 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chicken & Cheddar Biscuit Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p190
Reviews for Chicken & Cheddar Biscuit Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review