- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup beer or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Chicken & Bean Chili
"Loved it! We added avocado on top just because we like it."
"This is delicious and it definitely made me think fall. I will certainly make this again. I had cheese, sour cream and Fritos to serve it with but it was excellent on it's own and didn't need anything added to it. I think I prefer it to traditional chili."
"I got my first Taste of Home magazine in the mail last week and saw this recipe. Jumped right in the truck and went to the store for what I didn't have then made it up. I stuck to the recipe except for adding two cooked and chopped Fresno and one cooked Jalapeno peppers to the pot. I just put the peppers in with the chicken breasts, covered and baked at 425 for 30 mins. Took the chili to a family gathering and it was very well received. I like my chili with a "whang" to it. If you don't, then don't go there with the peppers."
"This is what chili is supposed to be. Rich, hearty and delicious. It's absolutely delicious with enough spices to be flavorful but not too much heat for my palate. I topped ours with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and some sliced green onions prior to serving. Delicious!"