If you’re one of those folks who think bacon is a food group, you’ll love this weeknight-friendly twist with a sweet and spicy kick from jalapeno jelly. Crisp puff pastry and store-bought chicken strips make prep work goof-proof! —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1/4 pound bacon strips, cut into thirds
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-serve roasted chicken breast strips
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Saute onions and apples in drippings until tender. Stir in the chicken, jelly, thyme and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll into a 10-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
- Spread chicken mixture over pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Press edges with a fork, forming a decorative border.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken & Bacon Tart in Simple & Delicious February/March 2012, p17
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken & Bacon Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review