- 3 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (17.3 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salsa and guacamole
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, chilies, onions, pepper sauce and seasonings.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Cut into nine rectangles.
- Place 2 tablespoons filling across the center of each rectangle. Brush edges of pastry with water and roll pastry around filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to bake.
- Place pastries on a lightly greased baking sheet, seam side down. Brush tops with egg. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa and guacamole. Yield: 3 dozen.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Chickaritos
"My family loved these .Can they be frozen?"
"I made these as per recipe and they were delicious. I may try using different fillings and baking or frying. Thanks for the inspiration."
"They're so good and they make great left overs!!!"
"I made these for my family and the flavor was great! I used wonton wraps (b/c that's all my small town store had) and baked them. I think the wrapper would have been better fried, although that would up the fat content. I didn't use the pie crust because it seemed too thick to me and I wanted a thinner outer layer. I think I will make these again using the wonton wraps and frying them in oil. They will make great appetizers at that size!"
"I do use egg roll wrappers instead of the pie crust or puff pastry. It is much easier to roll, less mess and everyone likes them even more. I also bush them lightly with canola oil and bake each side until lightly brown and crispy. Fantastic! I made them for my boy's Open House and other family or work celebrations. I triple or quadruple the recipe every time and always get several request for this recipe."
"Family loved it...I made w/cooked shrim and phyllo dough....delish!"
"Made these for the first time today. All four of us who ate them thought they were delicious! Using the puff pastry the recipe made 18 good size portions. And I had enough filling left over to make a small tart using pie pastry. Next time I will thaw more puff pastry and it will probably make an additional 9 portions. Absolutely DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for this recipe."
"love, love love these! Sometimes I get lazy and just put everything in a double pie crust. Still divine but less work."