Chicago-Style Pan Pizza Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle over dough. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, fennel seed and garlic powder.
- 3. Spoon over mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 6 slices.
1 piece equals 516 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,423 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.