- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle over dough. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, fennel seed and garlic powder.
- Spoon over mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 6 slices.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicago-Style Pan Pizza
"This recipe is one of our new favorites. I've made it using pizza sauce instead of the tomatoes as well as added green peppers. It still turns out very tasty."
"Very good. Not as heavy as a pizza as I expected. We left out the fennel seed because it is not one of our favorites. Will definitely make again."
"Very good and filling. I used 1/2 ground chuck and 1/2 mild Italian sausage. Make sure you drain the tomatoes really good, or you'll have water standing on top of the pizza."
"My husband is in Afghanistan currently. He is a huge pizzaholic! I'm excited to make this for him when he comes home. It was excellent! Experimenting w/ toppings will be fun! :)"
"I have made this 3 times and now and it is wonderful. Very easy to make and you can even mix it up a little with the toppings. Will be making this for years to come!"