Chicago-Style Hot Giardiniera
I've been living in Chicago for the last 12 years and have grown to love the spicy giardiniera served at restaurants. So, I developed my own to use at home. We love it on everything from eggs to sandwiches and even pizza! —Andrea Quiroz, Chicago, Illinois
32 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 5 cups)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 4 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 jar (10 ounces) small pimiento-stuffed olives, drained
- In a large bowl, toss cauliflower, celery, carrot and peppers with
- salt. Add cold water to cover. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Drain vegetables; rinse with cold water and drain again. In a large
- nonreactive bowl, whisk vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes.
- Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Add olives and drained
- vegetables; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to allow
- flavors to blend.
- Transfer mixture to covered jars. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Yield: 8