"My husband and I tried to duplicate the pizza from a popular Chicago restaurant, and I think our recipe turned out even better," Lynn Hamilton writes from Naperville, Illinois. "The secret is baking it in a cast-iron skillet."
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil and pepper
- 48 slices pepperoni
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 11-in. circle. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of two greased 10-in. ovenproof skillets. Sprinkle each with 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Spoon 1-1/2 cups over each pizza. Layer each with half of the sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, 1 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 450° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 slices each).
Originally published as Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza in Country Woman January/February 2002, p43
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review