- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 12 Italian rolls, split
- 1 jar (16 ounces) giardiniera, drained
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a food processor, combine the mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic and oregano. Cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to slow cooker. Combine beef broth and base; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef on buns; top with giardiniera. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chicago-Style Beef Sandwiches
"This is a winning recipe. This flavor of the broth was over the top, I think because of the beef base and of course the veggies. I snuck mushrooms by the hubby in this one and he loved it. Try this one, it’s great and easy to prepare."
"While I can't speak to the authenticity of this recipe (having only had the "authentic" version a couple of times), my husband and I found this recipe really YUMMY! Would definitely recommend! :)"
"Mile High Shredded Beef is much better!"
"This was so yummy and very easy to make. Had some leftovers and some leftover broth that I strained and froze to use the next time I need beef broth or stock."
"That is very good point, frazzel, Chicago beef is never shredded but as home cooks, most of use do not have a meat slicer that can slice the beef paper thin as it should be. Shredding for us is the next best thing. Very good recipe. We all enjoyed it."