Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle over dough. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- 2. In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, fennel seed and garlic powder. Spoon over mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 8 slices.
2 each: 786 calories, 38g fat (15g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 2110mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 42g protein.
Reviews for Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
"This recipe instantly became a favorite! I added red & green peppers for some additional nutritional value. Even my 2-year old asked for seconds. Definitely making this again."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.