Chewy Walnut-Apricot Candies
A bit old-fashioned, these fruit-and-nut confections are both different and delicious. Munching on one is like biting into a fresh-picked gift from the orchard.
96 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
- 4 cups apricot nectar or apple juice
- 4-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- Pinch salt
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and butter the foil; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the apricot nectar and 4 cups of sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads
- 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the
- heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, soften gelatin in water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into
- apricot mixture until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the walnuts,
- orange extract and salt. Pour into the prepared pan. Cover and let
- stand at room temperature overnight. Place the remaining sugar in a
- shallow bowl. Cut the candy into 1-in. squares and roll in sugar.
- Place on baking sheet. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Roll candies in
- additional sugar if desired. Store in an airtight container at room
- temperature. Yield: about 8 dozen.