Chewy Walnut-Apricot Candies Recipe
A bit old-fashioned, these fruit-and-nut confections are both different and delicious. Munching on one is like biting into a fresh-picked gift from the orchard.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 10 min. YIELD:96 servings
- 4 cups apricot nectar or apple juice
- 4-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- Pinch salt
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and butter the foil; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the apricot nectar and 4 cups of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, soften gelatin in water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into apricot mixture until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the walnuts, orange extract and salt. Pour into the prepared pan. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. Place the remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Cut the candy into 1-in. squares and roll in sugar.
- 3. Place on baking sheet. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Roll candies in additional sugar if desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 8 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC