- 1-1/2 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) Milk Duds
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter, 1-1/2 cups sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Shape 4 teaspoons of dough around each Milk Dud so it is completely covered. Roll balls in remaining sugar.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Surprise Cookies
"More people need to try this you won't be disappointed, and it's an easy recipe. The cookies are Great, but the Milk Dud is not! They get hard as a rock after the cookie cools. I followed the advice of another reviewer and used 1/2 of a bite size Snickers in each ball of cookie dough. It's truly perfection. This is the 4th Christmas I'll be making these, and it's practically a tradition now. Great recipe using Snickers <3 I use butter instead of shortening and I roll them in the coarse organic sugar. They are perfect, beautiful, and scrumptious!"
"Absolutely delicious. We love these and devoured them all too quickly. I was asked for the recipe by everyone who tried them-and there's no eating just one of these. They are that good!"
"I am not sure why my stars didn't show up the first time, but they are 5 star cookies!!"
"Awesomely addicting! These were a big hit!"