"With four daughters, six grandchildren and one great-grandchild, I've baked lots of cookies," notes Lavon Timken of Cimmaron, Kansas. "This recipe is one of my favorites."
- 1-1/2 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) Milk Duds
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter, 1-1/2 cups sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Shape 4 teaspoons of dough around each Milk Dud so it is completely covered. Roll balls in remaining sugar.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Originally published as Chewy Surprise Cookies in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p65
Reviews for Chewy Surprise Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review