Chewy Spice Bars Recipe
I first sampled these bars when a student's mother brought them in for a party at the school where I taught. I enjoyed them so much I had to get the recipe.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- 2. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 141 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC