- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds or grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into 12 portions. Roll each into an 18-in. rope; twist into a pretzel shape.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Place pretzels into boiling water, one at a time, for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg; sprinkle with desired topping.
- Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Soft Pretzels
Sort By :
"Wonderful. However I was terrible at making the Pretzel shape. So instead I called them Christmas wreaths. I could get away with that considering the season!!! On a few I added garlic and Parm cheese. On a few others I added cinnamon and sugar!!!"
"These are great! We even par-boiled and then froze them, thawed to room temp and then egg washed and baked....turned out great! We are doing 3 batches for the Super Bowl this Sunday!"
"easy and fun to make and good to eat!"
"Just made this and it's so amazing do exactly as it says and you won't have a problem my family loved it."