Chewy Peanut Bars
Kids will gobble up these chewy peanut-packed treats made with two kinds of crunchy cereal. "The sweet coating contrasts nicely with the salty nuts to make these bars a family favorite," comments Diane Eitreim of Garretson, South Dakota. "They travel well, too."
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 5 cups cornflakes
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a
- heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup, butter, cream and sugar; cook
- and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook until a
- candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage).
- Pour over cereal mixture and toss to coat. Pat into a greased 13-in.
- x 9-in. pan. Cool before cutting. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 166 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.