- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, syrup and vanilla until well mixed. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in coconut.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Maple Cookies
"Delicious! I did change some things though. I cut down the amount of brown sugar to 1/2 cup (next time will try 1/3), used coconut oil in place of the shortening, added oatmeal in place of the flaked coconut and added a couple handfuls for raisins. Great base recipe!! We have an abundance of maple syrup and am always looking for good recipes to use it in!"
"Oh, my goodness! These are awesome!!!!!!"
"Absolutely fabulous without any changes"
"I tweaked it a little - I used butter and added another 1/4 cup flour. It still looked too wet so I added a good handful of oats and a handful of chopped walnuts. These spread out quite a bit - it was a flat, but chewy, delicious cookie. I may play around with it a little more next time (maybe 2 cups flour?) and put some pecans in (I love cookies with nuts). Overall, a keeper recipe and good flavor! Oh, and use real maple syrup!"
"A fall favorite. The cookie is delicious with coconut and I wouldn't dream of changing the recipe."