- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, syrup and vanilla until well mixed. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in coconut.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Maple Cookies
Sort By :
"Oh, my goodness! These are awesome!!!!!!"
"Absolutely fabulous without any changes"
"I tweaked it a little - I used butter and added another 1/4 cup flour. It still looked too wet so I added a good handful of oats and a handful of chopped walnuts. These spread out quite a bit - it was a flat, but chewy, delicious cookie. I may play around with it a little more next time (maybe 2 cups flour?) and put some pecans in (I love cookies with nuts). Overall, a keeper recipe and good flavor! Oh, and use real maple syrup!"
"A fall favorite. The cookie is delicious with coconut and I wouldn't dream of changing the recipe."
"Delicious cookies. However, I'm very much against using shortening so I used non-hydrogenated margarine or butter and increased the flour to 1 3/4 c.Worked well. I've made these cookies a few times. We produce our own maple syrup so I like recipes that use it!"