Chewy Maple Bars
I've been making maple syrup for over 50 years and have collected many recipes. These bars, which my wife, Sue, prepares often, are the best I've ever eaten.Wilson "Bill" Clark, Wells, Vermont
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bow, cream sugar and shortening. Add syrup and egg and
- beat well. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture.
- Add vanilla and mix well. Stir in oats and walnuts. Pour into a
- greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Cut into squares while warm. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 261 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.