Chewy Granola Bars Recipe
For a satisfying snack that's both soft and crispy, try this recipe. These bars are a tempting, nutritious treat.—Virgina M Krites, Cridersville, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins or semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the honey, vanilla and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, cereal and nuts and raisins or chocolate chips if desired.
- 2. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bar equals 160 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC