Chewy Ginger Drop Cookies
THIS RECIPE originated with my grandmother. My mom, an excellent baker, also made these cookies.
Then I baked them for my family...my daughters made them...and now my granddaughters are making them - a true legacy I'm happy to share.
-Lois Furcron, Coudersport, Pennsylvania
15 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Combine flour, baking soda,
- ginger and salt. Combine molasses and water. Add dry ingredients to
- the creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until
- edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 174 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.