Chewy Ginger Cookies
These moist, delicious ginger cookies have an old-fashioned appeal that'll take you back to Grandma's kitchen. I'm never surprised when these treats quickly disappear from my cookie jar.Bernice Smith, Sturgeon Lake, Minnesota
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine dry
- ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 1-1/2 in. apart
- on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to
- wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 73 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.