These moist, delicious ginger cookies have an old-fashioned appeal that'll take you back to Grandma's kitchen. I'm never surprised when these treats quickly disappear from my cookie jar.—Bernice Smith, Sturgeon Lake, Minnesota
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 1-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chewy Ginger Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p54
Reviews for Chewy Ginger Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review