Chewy Ginger Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 1-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Ginger Cookies
Sort By :
"This is the cookie everyone asks me to make and when I do, it has to be in multiple batches at a time. They do not last. I've recently started making them in a gluten free version that people seem to like more than when I made them with AP flour. This recipe is definitely a winner in my house."
"Delicious and soft...you can't eat just one."
"Easy to make, great taste.I only cooked them for 9 minutes a batch."
"These cookies are delicious taste wise, however i was disappointed because they are not chewy AT ALL. I wouldn't say they are as hard as ginger snaps, but they are close to it. The flavor is great, but they aren't what i was looking for. They shouldn't put that they are chewy. If you want chewy ginger cookies than don't make these."
"I added 1/2 cup of molasses instead of a 1/4 to give it more flavor."