- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 1-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forChewy Ginger Cookies
"Chewy is right! A soft, chewy, spicy cookie! Delicious!"
"This is the cookie everyone asks me to make and when I do, it has to be in multiple batches at a time. They do not last. I've recently started making them in a gluten free version that people seem to like more than when I made them with AP flour. This recipe is definitely a winner in my house."
"Delicious and soft...you can't eat just one."
"easy to make, great taste.I only cooked them for 9 minutes a batch."
"These cookies are delicious taste wise, however i was disappointed because they are not chewy AT ALL. I wouldn't say they are as hard as ginger snaps, but they are close to it. The flavor is great, but they aren't what i was looking for. They shouldn't put that they are chewy. If you want chewy ginger cookies than don't make these."
"I added 1/2 cup of molasses instead of a 1/4 to give it more flavor."
"Great tasting!!! I rolled them in raw sugar otherwise did recipe the same. Would recommend to roll them out all at one time. as the last dozen got a little dried out and just a little crumbly to work with. I wouldn't double the recipe,just make one batch at a time. I didn't find them chewy...but really good flavor. Hubby liked them!!!"
"Our family loves chewy cookies and these are the best! They travel better well and my chocolate loving kids love these even though they don't have any in them."
"My family and my quilt guild loved these."