- 12 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 55 to 60 pecan halves
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules; cool and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Beat in the cooled chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture and mix well. (dough will be soft). Stir in chopped pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Chewy German Chocolate Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p100
Reviews for Chewy German Chocolate Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2013
This was a good cookie but not one of my favorites.
Reviewed Aug. 9, 2009
This recipe looks really yummy.
But,where's the coconut? Most German Chocolate cakes I've eaten have had coconut.
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2008
More Recipe Collections
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >