- 12 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 55 to 60 pecan halves
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules; cool and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Beat in the cooled chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture and mix well. (dough will be soft). Stir in chopped pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Chewy German Chocolate Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p100
Reviews for Chewy German Chocolate Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2013
"This was a good cookie but not one of my favorites."