Chewy Energy Bars Recipe
My husband and I put these in our lunch, but they're also a nice portable breakfast or snack. They're quick, store well and easy to keep on hand. —Sharon Rast, Show Low, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 2-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats and wheat germ. In a small saucepan, combine the corn syrup, peanut butter and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until peanut butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour over cereal mixture; mix well.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square pan. Gently press cereal mixture evenly into pan. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 bar equals 212 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC