Chewy Date Nut Bars
You'll need just six ingredients, including a convenient boxed cake mix, to bake up these chewy bars chock-full of walnuts and dates. They are my husband's favorite snack, and he loves to take them to work. I often whip up a batch for bake sales or to share with my co-workers at our local car dealership.
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 2 cups Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and brown sugar. Add butter and
- eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2
- minutes. Combine dates and walnuts; stir into batter (batter will be
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-45
- minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10
- minutes. Run a knife around sides of pan to loosen; cool completely
- before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 184 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.