- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, applesauce, egg, egg white, oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Beat in chocolate until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into brown sugar mixture just until blended.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Chocolate Brownies
"These were easy to put together and I added icing to mine but I wish they would have had more of a chocolate flavor. I expected them I rise a bit more during baking but they didn't. Icing did add the extra touch they needed."
"NOT chewy and bland flavor- very disappointed. Followed the recipe except substituted maple syrup for corn syrup because I did not have and even with the extra flavoring of maple syrup these did not have much flavor. I thought the applesauce would help with moistness but did not. Will not make again."
"I followed the recipe exactly. I baked them for 15 minutes and they seemed to still be a little underdone so I shut the oven off and left them in for an additional 3 minutes. They still seemed slightly underdone in the center but the edges were starting to overbake. By the time it cooled, the end result was a delicious brownie that was moist. Those complaining about it being dry probably overbaked them and those complaining about the sugar should re-look at the amounts of the ingredients instead of just the ingredients themselves. One-eighteenth of any of those ingredients is a pretty small amount as the serving size is 18 brownies."
"Very disappointing. Taste was very bland and the texture nothing like a brownie"
"These were yummy, didn't last long at all! I did make a few changes, used sweetened applesauce and sweetened chocolate, but otherwise the same. They turned out great!"