- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, applesauce, egg, egg white, oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Beat in chocolate until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into brown sugar mixture just until blended.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Chocolate Brownies
Sort By :
NOT chewy and bland flavor- very disappointed. Followed the recipe except substituted maple syrup for corn syrup because I did not have and even with the extra flavoring of maple syrup these did not have much flavor. I thought the applesauce would help with moistness but did not. Will not make again.
I followed the recipe exactly. I baked them for 15 minutes and they seemed to still be a little underdone so I shut the oven off and left them in for an additional 3 minutes. They still seemed slightly underdone in the center but the edges were starting to overbake. By the time it cooled, the end result was a delicious brownie that was moist. Those complaining about it being dry probably overbaked them and those complaining about the sugar should re-look at the amounts of the ingredients instead of just the ingredients themselves. One-eighteenth of any of those ingredients is a pretty small amount as the serving size is 18 brownies.
Very disappointing. Taste was very bland and the texture nothing like a brownie
These were yummy, didn't last long at all! I did make a few changes, used sweetened applesauce and sweetened chocolate, but otherwise the same. They turned out great!
Loved 'em!! Made them for my homemaker club and thought they were great. Had to bake them a little longer than it said to but will definately make them again.