These rich, chewy bars make a quick and easy dessert for Thanksgiving. They're popular at bake sales and classroom parties, too. —Rod & Sue Brusius, Omro, Wisconsin
Recommended: 14 Recipes for Cereal Bars
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package butter recipe golden cake mix (regular size)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 32 caramels
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs and oil; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips, baking chips and toffee bits.
- Press half of mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine milk, caramels and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth.
- Pour caramel mixture over crust. Crumble remaining cake mixture over top. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until edges begin to brown and topping is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chewy Choco-Caramel Squares in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p101