Chewy Caramel Bars
From Harbor Beach, Michigan, Debra Davidson-Cregeur shares one of her favorite recipes. She writes, “There are always requests for this recipe wherever it goes!”
24 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 36 Rolo candies, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, milk
- and butter until blended (batter will be thick). Stir in nuts. Press
- half of mixture into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking
- spray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set.
- Place candies, cut side down, over crust. Drop remaining batter by
- tablespoonfuls over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until
- golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 173 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.