- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, water and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes; do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Brownie Cookies
Sort By :
"I used half brown sugar and half white sugar! I used 1/2 tsp. baking soda, rather than 1/4 tsp. baking soda. I also used 1-1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I omitted nuts on account of nuts being an allergen to some people! I greased my baking sheets! I got more than 3 dozen-I'd say that I got close to 4 dozen! I baked 8 minutes at 375o F.These were a big hit with the Nutrition staff where I've been doing volunteer work for 2-1/2 years! One of the staff members took some of these cookies home and her family really enjoyed them, too!Thank you for sharing this really wonderful recipe!delowenstein"
"I just made these and they are really good. Only changes I made: cut sugar by 1/4 cup because I used milk chocolate chips and added 1/2 cup coconut. Will definitely make again. Did not flatten out, maintained their shape nicely."
"I just made these and they are delicious! I adjusted the recipe slightly so that's why only 4 stars. Instead of adding extra flour as others suggested, I just left out the water! But I also used 1/2 cup cocoa because I wanted to leave out the chocolate chips. I used butter instead of shortening, and doubled the baking soda to 1/2 tsp. I stirred in coconut and walnuts (no chocolate chips). Perfect! They do flatten out like cookies should but not too flat, and taste like brownies. Had no trouble scooping out dough with my cookie scoop, it's just like cookie dough."
"After reading the reviews on these cookies (and many thanks for the tips!) I decided to make these. I altered the recipe to 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1Tbsp Milk instead of water, then put the batter in the fridge to cool down. I took a big heaping tsp and rolled in a balls. Baked for 8 mins. I really have to say these are the best Brownie Cookies I have ever made!! These have become a big hit in my home! Thanks again for the recipe and all the reviews!!"
"I have made these cookies many times before & they are delicious. The only thing I add is a cup of shredded coconut & dash of cinnamon. This recipe is great, keep their shape & don't flatten out. Our families favorite."