Chewy Bread Pretzels
I use this simple pretzel recipe to introduce my grandsons to baking. The boys took turns measuring and mixing. They enjoyed kneading the dough and shaping their pretzels any way they wanted.—Marilyn Strickland, Williamson, New York
15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and salt. Blend
- in flour, 1 cup at a time, to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a
- floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and
- let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough
- down and divide into 15 equal portions. Roll each portion into a
- 14-in. rope shape into the traditional pretzel shape and place on a
- greased baking sheet. Brush pretzels with egg and sprinkle with salt
- if desired. Cover and let rise 15 minutes. Bake at 425° for 15
- minutes. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 131 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.