Chewy Apple Candies Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups raspberry or cinnamon applesauce, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup applesauce and gelatin; set aside to soften. In a 2-qt. saucepan, bring sugar and remaining applesauce to a boil. Add gelatin mixture; return to boiling. Boil for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and nuts.
- Pour into a buttered 8-in. square pan. Cover and chill overnight. Cut into 1-1/2-in. x 1/2-in. pieces; roll in confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate for several hours. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Apple Candies(2)
Sort By :
I cut this recipe in half to make it for the first time since I wasn't sure if I would like this type of candy and didn't want too much laying around. Well, it did not turn out right at all doing that... the gelatin never set so it's still more like thick gooey applesauce than like a jello or gummy candy, which is what I think the recipe is going for.
However, the taste of this gooey mixture is still fabulous! I can tell if I can get the gelatin to set this will be a delicious candy. I will try again with a full recipe and see if I can figure out where it went wrong the first time :-)
This was my first attempt at making candy, and this was the right choice! Easy to make, and absolutely delish! Reminds me of turkish delight. Looks gorgeous in my Christmas goodie bags for friends and family!