- its gloss.) Transfer to prepared bowl.
- For almond mixture, in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat,
- combine sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved
- and mixture comes to a boil, about 15 minutes. (If sugar crystals
- are present, cover and boil for 1-2 minutes to allow steam to wash
- crystals down.) With a clean spoon, cook and stir over medium-high
- heat until a candy thermometer reads 275° (soft-crack stage),
- about 15 minutes longer.
- Pour over mixture in bowl (do not scrape saucepan). With a large
- wooden spoon, stir until blended. Combine butter and vanilla;
- gradually add to almond mixture until blended. Stir in almonds and
- salt until blended. Transfer to prepared pan. Let stand at room
- temperature for several hours or until firm. Cut into squares. Wrap
- in plastic wrap or waxed paper if desired. Yield: about 5-1/2
Nutritional Facts:Editor's Note: A heavy-duty stand mixer is needed for this recipe. Egg whites were beaten with a whisk attachment and hot liquid was added using a paddle.