Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups peeled cooked chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 large pear, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves day-old white bread (1 pound each), cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute onion and fennel in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in chestnuts, pear, broth, dried fruit, seasonings and remaining butter; cook until butter is melted. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until dried fruit is softened.
- 2. Place in a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes. Whisk eggs and milk; drizzle over stuffing and toss to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. and a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 21 servings.
3/4 cup: 290 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Chestnut Stuffing
"I added some sage to mine and it was very good. Plus I only used one loaf of a good, hearty bread and it was plenty."