- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups peeled cooked chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 large pear, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves day-old white bread (1 pound each), cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute onion and fennel in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in chestnuts, pear, broth, dried fruit, seasonings and remaining butter; cook until butter is melted. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until dried fruit is softened.
- Place in a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes. Whisk eggs and milk; drizzle over stuffing and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. and a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 21 servings.
Originally published as Chestnut Stuffing in Taste of Home November 2011, p84
Reviews for Chestnut Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2012
"I added some sage to mine and it was very good. Plus I only used one loaf of a good, hearty bread and it was plenty."