Chestnut Sausage Stuffing Recipe
I discovered this recipe in a four-generation family cookbook. I'm glad I gave it a try. It has become "the" stuffing at our holiday table. —Judi Oudekerk, Buffalo, Minnesota
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 package (8-3/4 ounces) whole chestnuts, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the sausage, parsley, thyme and pepper. Add broth; heat through. Remove from the heat. Add bread cubes and chestnuts; toss to coat.
- 2. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 239 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC