I enjoyed this stuffing when I spent my first Thanksgiving with my husband, Mike. It's a family recipe his mother has been making for years. Italian seasoning and chestnuts add flavor and texture. —Sharon Brunner, Mohnton, Pennsylvania
18 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 3 cups chestnuts, shelled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 10 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), cubed
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender.
- Add chestnuts and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add bread cubes and stir to coat.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered,
- at 350° for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Yield: 18 servings
- (1/2 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 223 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.