Cherry Yeast Coffee Cake Recipe
My mother taught me how to cook, and this delightful recipe is from her. Whoever tries it says it’s the best coffee cake ever invented! It requires no kneading, and you can tint the icing any color you want.
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth.
- 2. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Stir dough down and spoon two-thirds into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Top with pie filling. Drop remaining dough by tablespoonfuls over pie filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack. Combine the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 275 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC