Red velvet cake is so good, that I decided to create whoopie pies out of packaged cake mix. The individual "pies" are filled with velvety cream cheese frosting. Your family is sure to will love this dessert. They are also ideal for bake sales and potlucks.—Lesley Marie Boylan, Centerville, Iowa
- 1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 36 maraschino cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup cream cheese frosting
- 2/3 cup whipped topping
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Top each with a cherry half. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, beat frosting and whipped topping until blended; fold in chopped cherries. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Whoopie Pies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p155
Reviews for Cherry Whoopie Pies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review